Tom with kids in Kuwait

Tom with kids in Kuwait
Tom with kids in Kuwait

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I will live for God and give thanks, just not today...

T’was the night before Thanksgiving and all through the town
Hams and turkeys cooked through the night ‘til they were all brown,
To be served the next day to family and friends
Who would gather and feast, and feast to no end.

There were casseroles and stuffing and oh so many pies,
To go with the rolls, biskets, and the occasional surprise
Some like their turkey browned on the outside but still moist inside,
But these days folks might just want to get them deep fried.

It is a day made for eating and watching football
By mid afternoon it feels like we ate it all
But there is more food for seconds and thirds and more
Got to rest up to head out to the stores.

From a full dining room table to lines circling the block
I must save that ten dollars on that Frozen Alarm Clock
Or is Ninja Turtles who are in this year?
Better get the right stuff and fast before it disappears.                     

Thanksgiving and Black Friday have merged into one
Food, food, and more food and shopping, some call that fun.
That fifty inch TV would look great in my home
Though really I watch most of my shows on my new phone.

And  all in a moment, the year turns into a blurr
Christmas comes upon us and we buy more stuff to serve
And then cry quite the river when the bills all come in
And swear to ourselves we will never do this again.

Serve the master of money, stuff, and credit card debt
We promise to live for God and not greed nor all we can get
But next year comes upon us and we are in the same boat
For we sought not the Lord nor the words that he spoke.

So we come upon another year without giving thanks
We don’t feel alone, there are many in our ranks
Who chose the world over God and like it that way
But we know full well that there will be a day…

A day of accounting, judgment, and all
We don’t want to think about it for there is surely a fall
In store for those who choose to rebel
Oh I can’t pray to God but I pray there’s no hell.

For I know that I have lived only for my selfish self
And have not loved God with my life or my wealth
These people they tell me to repent and believe
But I don’t want a God who comes before my TV…

And before my idols of football and fame
I want what I want and don’t want to believe on the Name
That is above all names and calls me again
There must be a catch, I feel safer in sin.

For there is a catch, but not what you think
It is a harvest of people that will come in a blink
Of the eye, yes in a moment, we all will be changed
Some relieved off all burdens and some who remain

Slave to sin and death and darkness and sorrow
They lived for themselves and saved naught for tomorrow
They stored their treasures in barns they would lose
Because it was greed and not God when it came time to choose.

This sadness and sorrow need not be the end of the line
For the One who made the heavens also made time
And in a single moment even in the worst strife
A few and simple words bring those who are dead into life.

Yes, your heart may be pumping and your blood is bright red
But without the Lord of Lords your body is already dead
For the King of kings came as a child and died on a cross
So that the worst among us would never be lost.

To Satan and sin and rebellion and death
As in the beginning, life comes in the Spirit’s breath.
We must die to this world and be born of God’s Spirit
Or this Kingdom of Heaven –we’ll never get near it.

This is a sad sort of thought on Thanksgiving Day
Why can’t I just eat and watch football and fall asleep as I may?
It is the God who made me and made me to live
Who is calling me to repent and believe and forgive.

And to do it today and not wait any longer
When I confess my own weakness he just makes me stronger
And in whatever state or circumstance I endure
I will learn to give thanks and be always thankful.

But I can’t do that now, Lord, though I  know that I should
I am so, so afraid that I will miss something good
I can’t put you first though I know it the right thing to do
But I can’t bear the words, “I never knew you.”

So just one more day or week or year’s all I ask
Of life without purpose or meaning while wearing this mask
That’s says I know what I am doing without this God stuff
Don’t mess with me now, my words might get gruff.

My heart it grows hard and it will be harder to break
Though many have tried, I am a very good fake
And so I spin the words of truth, love, and life.
And pray you don’t come like a thief in the night.
And pray you don’t come like a thief in the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment