Tom with kids in Kuwait

Tom with kids in Kuwait
Tom with kids in Kuwait

Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas Psalm of the Disconnected...and those sent to call them home

Another disconnected number,
Another voice mail not set up.
Never see the folks at worship,
Did they really need this stuff?



People took their hard earned money,
And were generous beyond belief,
Just to see the food and presents go unclaimed,
When many prayed they’d bring relief.

But let’s not be too hasty,
Let compassion and mercy reign.
Not everyone can remember,
How to get back to the church again.

Even if they remember
Or just take a gander or a guess,
They still have to go through those doors,
Why can’t they send it UPS?


I don’t want to go in that building
It brings on a different sort of pain
The people are ever so friendly,
But keep calling on the Name.

Yes, it’s the name of Jesus
And they call him all the time
I know that I should follow him
But I’m still looking for a sign.

Those people who follow Jesus
They also call him Lord,
Though they preach forgiveness and love,
It seems Jesus brought a sword.

It’s one that severs with both edges
It divides muscle, heart, and soul.
And if I don’t outrun it,
I will soon lose all control.


And be forced to face up to my life,
As I’ve never done before.
But if I can get my stuff and get gone,
I will go flying out that door.

Back to the land of comfort,
Keeping a safe distance from God.
But the people just keep on coming,
Now look where the saints have trod.

They have come even to my door step
Good news and tidings they must bring.
But I just want to be left alone,
Please don’t let them sing.

About a babe born in a manger,
And no crib for this King’s bed.
Please just let them go to the next house.
And I’ll go slip off in to bed.

For Christmas is about Santa,
And not some tale of old.
Christmas brings visions of video games,
They are the new silver and gold.


But these people keep on calling,
They just won’t go away,
They say that are called to bring good news
About this coming Christmas Day.

I am so not ready to talk about God you see,
I must put this elf upon the shelf.
Besides these people will just tell me,
That life is more than living for myself.

If I can just get the food and presents
Without having to listen to their spiel;
Then I will have a holly jolly Christmas,
I mean really, what could their words reveal?

It is the same old story,
That my parents used to tell,
About a God of glory, and
A love they knew so well.

But I’m on my own and doing fine,
Well except for the bills and rent.
But I’m not ready for the story
Of God with us in his first advent.

It is the story of the ages
Told in this modern century.
So many people living without God,
Despite the saints bringing news to set them free.

So where does that leave the commissioned,
Who have heard no time and time before.
Why the same place that they started,
Bringing good news to every door.

So we wish you a Merry Christmas
And the best in the New Year.
Our prayers are always with you,
That God grants you ears to hear.

Merry Christmas!

Believe the Good News!


No comments:

Post a Comment